Saturday, July 25, 2015

How to Make Easy Pickled Peppers Without Canning

 
There is something so wonderfully country about serving a big jar of fresh pickled peppers on the dinner table. But for me, the very thought of canning anything makes me think of one big messy and possibly complicated task that I didn't think I was up to. So when I found this wonderfully simple recipe for pickled peppers from cucinakristina.com. I was exited to try it. It really is so easy because no extensive canning equipment is used. It's delicious, mildly sweet, and lightly spicy, but what really sets it apart is that the peppers really stay crisp and fresh for weeks in the refrigerator. That's real good news when you want a budget and time friendly recipe. These gorgeous banana peppers were actually picked fresh from our garden below.


Our Little Garden of Tomatoes, Spinach and Banana Peppers
 
Here is my version of the recipe I used as I added a little less sugar. I made a second batch as seen in the photo, so I could tweek it a bit as I wanted one with a bit more heat. Here is the Recipe.
 
Easy No Canning Pickled Peppers
  1. 1 lb. banana peppers (about 10)
  2. 3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
  3. 2 cups water
  4. 2 tablespoon kosher salt
  5. 1 tablespoon sugar or less to taste
  6. 1 garlic clove per jar, minced - 1 lb. of banana peppers filled roughly 2 quart sized mason jar. 
Slice banana peppers into rings 1/4-inch thick. ( Tip: I actually had to cut them open under running water to keep my eyes from watering, and wore thin plastic disposable gloves just in case I forgot and rubbed my eyes!) Remove seeds and ribs, as desired, remember the heat comes from the seeds so leave a few seeds in if you want some heat, the more seeds the hotter they will be. Fill each mason jar to the top with banana peppers. So Easy right?Add 1 clove of minced garlic to each jar. Now, In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar ( I used a bit less sugar as I wanted more of  hot pickled taste) and stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. There is no need to bring your brine to a full boil, you just need to heat it enough to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cool the brine completely. When cooled, fill each jar with pickling brine, screw on the lid, and store in the refrigerator. Let the peppers pickle for at least 24 hours before eating. The longer they sit, the better they are! Note: I sliced the second batch just into halves and really liked them even better, but the thin sliced rings are great for sandwiches. Hope you enjoy!


http://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=530452&u=353528&m=48577&urllink=&afftrack=
 

No comments: